Moon River Internship Program
Moon River Senior Care and Transportation offers a unique Pre-Health Service Learning Internship for individuals interested in pursuing or exploring careers in healthcare. The internship offers direct care experience with older adults in the home setting and extensive training in geriatrics. Our company owner has helped to prepare more than 200 interns for careers in health care. The experience has resulted in admission to medical school, nursing, social work, public health, occupational/physical therapy and other undergraduate and graduate programs. College students and graduates are welcome to apply. We accept intern applications year-round.
The internship includes:
- One-on-one experience working with older adults in the home setting
- Understanding professional boundaries
- Education on Alzheimer’s disease and other types of dementia
- Crisis intervention and advocacy
- Experiencing healthcare delivery from an older adult’s perspective
- Understanding the challenges of the family caregiver
- Learning about the patient transition from hospital to home
We work with clients with a wide range of medical challenges including, but not limited to, congestive heart failure, arthritis, cancer, respiratory diseases, osteoporosis, depression, diabetes, emphysema, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, dementia, renal disease and Parkinson’s disease. Our clients face challenges of visual and hearing impairments and limited mobility.
Duties of interns serving as companions include:
- Medication reminders
- Coordinating the scheduling of medical and social appointments
- Engagement in social activities
- Simple meal preparation
- Help with daily chores
- Patient escort to outpatient surgery and routine appointments
- Advocate and note-take at medical appointments
Interns who are certified nursing assistants or who have completed a semester of clinical training in nursing school will perform duties outlined above and also:
- Assist with bathing and grooming
- Assist with pre-surgical scrub and following post-surgery directives
In addition, interns learn about family dynamics and the joys and challenges of aging. They have the opportunity to experience history through the stories told by clients who have led amazing lives. As a future healthcare provider, students gain understanding of the patient perspective and will be able to offer their patients higher quality care because of the experience. Interns also learn the importance of patient advocacy and how to appropriately advocate for a client.
Please go to Contact Us tab to request additional information on the Moon River internship program.